7/21/2008

Some of the advantages of Unix/Linux over windows

What are some of the advantages of Unix/Linux over windows?

I disagree that Linux isn't safer than Windows. Windows has a very long history of having HUNDREDS of vulnerabilities every year. It really opened my eyes when I started manualy approving all updates for Windows on my network at work.

Yes Linux has the same problems, but far fewer and are usually fixed FAR more quickly. There are also far more people working on these problems and on feature upgrades.

The question regarding viruses is pretty much the same, as Linux is more hardened against viruses overall. There is something to say though that there would be more rootkits for Linux out there if the average joe/jane use Linux more often.

As far as usability, Ubuntu has gone a long way to making it user friendly. It is also one of the easiest to install, making it a snap to install Ubuntu on your Windows system and letting both Windows and Ubuntu work. You just pick which one you want when you turn on the PC.

I suggest giving it a try. Feel free to message me if you have any Linux questions down the road.

0 comments: